Driving with Suspended License
If the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) suspends your driver's license, you'll need to satisfy your suspension requirements to
Your driver's license may be suspended for reasons including:
- Driving under the influence (DUI/DWI) of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Driving with a suspended license.
- Violating insurance laws.
- Failing to pay a traffic citation.
- Accumulating too many driving record points.
At Murray Law Group, LLC, we provide personalized client services. Our legal services attorneys will aggressively defend you against criminal charges.
There are many reasons you will want legal representation. The duration of your suspension will vary depending on the circumstances of your offense. You may also receive additional fines and penalties from the court if you receive a criminal conviction.
Some common suspensions include:
- 6 months to 3 years for alcohol-related offenses, depending on the number of violations.
- Indefinitely for suspensions resulting from:
- Insurance violations.
- SR22 violations.
- Failing to pay a ticket.
- 3 – 6 months for accumulating too many traffic points on your driver record, depending on the number of traffic points.
Accumulating too many points on your driving record can lead to higher car insurance, fines and a license suspension.
- If you accumulate 6 points or more, the SCDMV will mail you a warning letter.
- If you earn 12 points or more, your driver's license will be suspended.
The length of your suspension will depend on the number of points you have on your driving record.
If you drive while your license is suspended, you will receive an additional suspension and other serious consequence:
- Extension of suspension same duration as your current suspension, if the duration is stated.
- High fines
- 3 months, if your suspension is indefinite.
- 30 days, if your suspension was caused by failing to pay a traffic ticket.
- Jail time
- Mandatory completion of a treatment program
You do not want to prolong the duration of your license suspension. As your experienced attorney, we can help protect your rights.
Our legal services attorneys have successfully defended clients against criminal charges throughout South Carolina can defend you against your driving with a suspended license charge, striving to get your charge dismissed or reduced. Don't Worry, Call Murray!